Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Mommy Is From Mars, Daddy is From....Somewhere Else!

Disclaimer: I'm having a bit of deja vu here, because I feel like I've used this line before, but y'all...I really do love and adore my husband. He reads all of these blogs before I publish them. He is my editor-in-chief, purchaser of my cheap wine, warmer of my cold feet, my best friend and my babies daddy. I wouldn't write anything that I knew would harm him, belittle him, or anything he couldn't take (because he can dish it out just as well). With that behind us....




Do you married people ever just get in a married people funk? I'm not talking about a fight, just a funk. It's kind of like when you're a kid and you spend a lot of time with one friend, so much so that they start to get on your nerves? Marriage is a lot like that at times...or at least my marriage is.

We were in one of those funks this past weekend. We weren't fighting, but we just weren't on the same page by any definition of the phrase. This got me thinking about how different we really are. I think anyone would agree that men and women, in general, are very different creatures. This also applies, in my humble opinion, to mommies and daddies. A few examples...


  • A mommy gets about 2 minutes alone in the bathroom each day. The other times she is accompanied by a 2 year-old asking inappropriate anatomy questions.  A daddy can spend a full 45 minutes alone in the bathroom on a Saturday (and a Sunday) morning doing Lord knows what. He is able to completely ignore the chaos happening mere steps from the door.

  • A daddy can use words like "vented soffit" in conversation. He knows how to build a PVC frame for a photo booth. He knows what "PVC" stands for. He knows things about dirt and plants. A mommy needs a daddy to tell her that the Washington Redskins are located in Washington, D.C. and not, as it turns out, the state of Washington. 

  • A mommy understands the importance of a family photo. She knows that it will be difficult, but she plans it anyway. She doesn't plan it around naps or sporting events like, for instance, the Wolfpack football schedule. A daddy doesn't understand the importance of a family photo. In fact, he would just rather never have his picture taken, ever. Unless it's a photo taken when his family is all wearing red, watching the Wolfpack play football.

  • A daddy appreciates history. He appreciates it so much that he spends what little t.v. time he gets watching shows devoted to learning more about history. He loves making random comments about said history, seemingly with the desire to teach his wife about history. A mommy understands that the 30 minutes she might get of t.v. time each day should be spent watching something mindless and trashy. A mommy also doesn't know what to do with herself with those 30 minutes, so instead of watching the entire show, she {SPOILER ALERT}'s it with her trusty pal, Google.


Next to being a mother, being a wife is probably the most challenging title I've ever held. But it's also the most rewarding. I wouldn't be a mommy to Emma and Adley if I wasn't first a wife to Bradley. Sometimes I focus so much on everything that we don't get right, I miss out on the times that we get it exactly right. 

  • A daddy knows that the way to a mommy's heart is by saying "absolutely" when she asks to go on a Girl's Night Out.
  • A mommy knows that she doesn't need the Halloween candy, but if she brings it in the bedroom, the daddy will indulge with her, thus making her feel less guilty.
  • A daddy knows when the mommy is exhausted. He tells her to skip her coffee and take a nap with the baby. Sometimes she listens.
  • A mommy realizes that if the daddy didn't work so hard, she couldn't love on her little girls all day, every day. Sometimes she stops to take time to express that appreciation.

...and sometimes, just like that, the daddy reminds the mommy exactly why she married him in the first place. 💜


"Here's to love and LAUGHTER, and happily ever after."


No comments:

Post a Comment